Notre Dame athletic administrators, coaches and other departmental staff members are reminded of their responsibility to serve as role models for the student population. Listed below are standards that have been adopted by the Athletic Department and/or the University community and should govern the conduct of all Athletic Department employees:
- Athletic department personnel should be aware that Indiana law prohibits drinking by those under the age of 21. Coaches, administrators and athletic department staff members shall not knowingly allow underage drinking by student-athletes, student workers (e.g. student managers and trainers) or recruits under their supervision. Coaches, administrators and athletic department staff members shall not knowingly permit intoxication by a student-athlete, student worker or recruit under their supervision, irrespective of the age of the student.
- University funds may not be used to purchase alcohol for consumption by student athletes, student workers (e.g. student managers and trainers) or recruits at any time, irrespective of the age of the individuals involved or the legal drinking age in the jurisdiction where the alcohol is purchased.
- Coaches, administrators and athletic department staff members may not provide or serve alcohol to a student athlete, student worker or recruit.
- Coaches, administrators and departmental staff members should use their best judgment when visiting restaurants or establishments where alcohol is served, and should not consume alcohol in the presence of a student-athlete, except for students working at a university event.
- Coaches, administrators and athletic department staff members should avoid being present when student-athletes and student workers consume alcohol. Occasionally, they will find themselves obligated to attend functions where students over 21 are consuming alcohol. In such situations, they should attempt to avoid socializing with students who are consuming alcohol and take their leave as soon as they can reasonably do so without offending the host.
- Coaches, administrators and athletics department staff members shall not knowingly allow student athletes or student workers to consume alcohol during any official team activity, including receptions, dinners and special events. Nor shall they permit alcohol to be present or consumed while in transit to practice or competition, regardless of whether personal vehicles, buses, vans or airplanes are used.
- Coaches, administrators and athletic department staff members shall not permit or allow student-athletes or student workers to serve or provide alcohol to a recruit.
- If coaches, administrators or athletic department staff members become aware of conduct outlined above, or drinking at any time on team trips, they should take appropriate action to stop it.
- Head coaches may adopt more restrictive rules relative to alcohol use for their respective teams.
Failure to adhere to these standards may result in appropriate disciplinary action by the athletic department with respect to coaches, administrators and/or athletic department staff members. Any disciplinary action taken by the athletic department may be in addition to, rather than instead of, any other action taken by the Department of Human Resources.