Individual Travel Procedures


Whether you’re traveling for the first time or are in need of a traveling “refresher” the following instructions are meant to provide guidance specific to Athletics Department policies for individuals. All forms are available on our Travel and Expense Forms Page. All Staff traveling internationally MUST register with Notre Dame International.

Means of Expense Payment

Cash Advances via Concur travelND

  • Apply for online Cash Advance Approver Request form
  • Submit a form at least 2 weeks prior to departure
  • Typically issued via direct deposit
  • To be used for those expenses that cannot be paid using a credit card

Credit Card

  1. In order to apply for a JPMorganChase Corporate Travel Card, please submit the online application found here:
  2. Payments are the cardholder’s responsibility & monthly statements are mailed directly to the employee. Charges are directly imported into Concur; business expenses are reimbursable on a completed expense report submitted through Concur.

Back to Top


  • Contact Anthony Travel to book all flights. Madison Hahn (631-3286) and Michael Demerath (631-4423) are located in the Joyce Center above Gate 3.
  • Identify the purpose of the trip (recruiting, convention, personal)
  • All business related airfare charges are booked directly to your budget and need to be listed on your expense report as Airfare—Charged to FOAPAL along with your flight itinerary. Failure to do so will result in your expense report being returned to you for correction.

Back to Top


  • Lodging is to be booked by the individual & should be paid with a credit card (submit an expense report for reimbursement).
  • The following incidentals are considered personal and are not reimbursable:
    • Movies
    • Health Club Fees
    • Laundry (if traveling 1-4 days or if per diem is claimed)

Back to Top

Ground Transportation

Car Rental

Personal Vehicle Usage

Back to Top


Employees have the option of claiming either per diem or submitting actual meal receipts for a trip.

Per Diem

  • Domestic
  • Foreign
  • Requires an overnight stay
  • Use the current per diem rates for each destination (where you’ll stay overnight that evening).
  • The daily rate is divisible by meal (breakfast 20%, lunch 30%, dinner 50%).
  • When student-athletes claim per diem, use the daily rate less $5.00.
  • When issuing foreign per diem, use the M&IE Rate minus Incidentals which can be found on the FTR Appendix B (Breakdown of Meals/Incidentals).
  • The first and last day of travel is limited to 75% of the allowable daily per diem rate (total minus $5.00 for athletes x .75).
  • Incidentals (laundry, tips) are inclusive in a daily per diem and may not be claimed for reimbursement when per diem is issued.

Meal Receipts

  • Submit original itemized meal receipts including the restaurant’s name with the expense report
  • List any additional person(s) present at a meal that you paid for.
  • Alcohol must be itemized using Account number 72451.

Completing the Expense report

  • Attach original receipts
  • Purchases made online must also be accompanied by a copy of the credit card statement (it is permissible to black out all unrelated charges).
  • Lost receipts must be documented on a Missing Receipt Affidavit and a copy of the credit card charges or canceled check.
  • Attach a conference agenda, when applicable.

Back to Top