Form I: Foreign Travel Checklist

Obtain funding

  • Develop/obtain approval of trip budget and funding with your sport administrator and Business Office
  • Contact the Monogram Club (Beth Hunter, Email, 631-9722) for information regarding potential funding for foreign tours

Complete and submit NCAA Compliance Certification Form

Obtain approval from sport governing body, if applicable

Obtain passports for all members of the travel party (all trips)

Obtain visas for members of the travel party (some trips)

  • Determine whether you need a visa for the country/countries to which you are traveling. More information is available here (SAOF may be available to assist with visa costs)

Comply with University Protocol (OIS/Risk Management)

Contact the Athletic Department Business Office

  • Contact: Bev Frecker (Email, 631-8872)
  • Request an event account number to track all revenue and expenses associated with the trip
  • Money: Credit card is the preferred method of payment for primary expenditures overseas; all Business Office forms and instructions are available In the Travel Forms and Instructions Section
    • Business Office can prepare traveler’s checks in $100 denominations
    • Take a limited amount of cash, both US dollars and foreign currency; complete a cash advance form for each currency needed and submit to Bev at least two weeks in advance
    • NCAA Bylaw 30.7.9 allows the institution to provide a student-athlete with $20 per day for up to 21 days (in addition to the usual away-from-home meals or money) for incidental expenses in connection with a foreign tour
  • Cell phones: Most iPhones are compatible abroad. Please contact Ann Karwoski (Email, 631-7476) if you need to borrow an iPhone, and for details regarding the international rate plans available through Sprint.


  • If leaving from Notre Dame, determine where to park while you are gone (this can be an important topic if you will be traveling during a special event, such as commencement)
    • Contact: Les Niedbalski, NDSPD ("Email", 631-8036) (to determine where to park)
    • For a student to leave a vehicle on campus, the vehicle must be registered with campus security. A special pass will be issued by NDSP Parking Services, obtained from Major Korros, and parking is only allowed D6 or D2 Lots.
    • Contact: Patrice Mullen (Email, 631-5031) (to notify her where you will be parking)

Medical Information

  • Insurance options
    • General rules for staff members on Notre Dame’s health insurance plans:
      • PPO will reimburse for overseas medical treatment at 65% after deductible
      • HMOs will reimburse only for medical emergencies that occur overseas
      • Contact Human Resources at 631-5900 to discuss plan coverage in more detail
    • Student-athletes should discuss their plan coverage with the insurance carrier.  Many policies contain high deductibles, limitations in coverage or no extension for travel abroad. 
    • HTH Worldwide provides excellent overseas coverage to supplement existing medical insurance and is available to students (and staff, even though the website appears to be set up for students only) for a minimal charge. More information is available on their website (access code GQA-9848 for weekly rates and GQB-9847 for monthly rates)
      • Weekly rate is approximately $10.00 (two week minimum) per participant up to age 49 (rates increase for individuals 50-64 and 65 + over)
    • Contact: Barb Davey, Risk Management (, 631-5037)
      SAOF funds may be available to help student-athletes with supplemental insurance costs
  • University Health Services can advise as to whether there are required/suggested vaccinations for your destination
    • Contact: Mary Ellen McCaslin, R.N., Assistant Director of Clinical Services, UHS (Email, 631-8661)
    • This call should be made at least 2 months in advance
  • Athletic trainer or team physician must accompany the team
    • Note that some prescription medications common in the US are illegal in other countries; UHS Travel Nurse and team/UHS physicians can assist in determining (i) whether any prescription medications that will be taken into the country by your traveling party need special authorization and (ii) what medication can be dispensed by the Athletic Trainer
    • Plan for unique issues in destination country such as lack of availability of ice and allergy seasons

Travel partners

  • Anthony Travel provides a variety of service levels to our programs that are planning a foreign tour
  • Contact: Jim O’Connor (Email, 631-3067)
  • If Anthony Travel is planning all aspects of your foreign tour: you can assume that the contracts, insurance provisions and other required items are in place
  • If you are utilizing travel partners other than or in addition to Anthony Travel to handle all of or certain aspects of your tour (e.g., air, ground transportation, hotels, meals, scheduling of opponents), you should do the following with each such entity:
    • Coach/sport administrator should conduct due diligence regarding the provider (i.e., request and Contact at least two references, preferably other Division I colleges/universities)
    • Confirm through travel partner that local transportation providers and event hosts have insurance
    • Ask for a contract detailing the services, which must be approved and signed in advance
    • Contact: Jill Bodensteiner (Email, 631-6721)

Emergency contact information

  • Collect emergency contact information from each member of the travel party
  • Provide wallet cards containing foreign emergency information to all members of travel party. ** US Embassy/Consulate contact information
    for countries you are visiting.
  • Identify an Athletic Department representative who is not traveling with you to serve as your campus contact; exchange contact information and provide him/her with a full travel itinerary
  • E-mail a full travel itinerary to each of the emergency contacts
  • Make multiple copies of passports and emergency contact information (provide one copy to your primary travel provider(s), leave one copy with your campus contact, and take two copies with you)

Conduct an orientation for student-athletes and other members of the travel party close to the time of departure

  • Contact: Jill Bodensteiner (Email, 631-6721) to help you prepare an agenda for orientation, provide a campus speaker from Risk Management/OIS, and/or provide a person with specific knowledge of travel in your destination.
  • Suggested Topics: conduct expectations, safety/security, culture, packing checklist